Monday, November 5, 2007

the influence of history


Today I went to check out the ©MURAKAMI exhibit at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA. I first learned of his work thru the latest kanYe West album and really loved what he did when it came to the artwork for the album. The exhibit was amazing and I definitely got to see a lot more of Murakami's work and learn a bit about him.

It was the first time I've ever gone to a museum on my own, but just like occasionally taking in movies by myself, it was a lot of fun and in some ways it's own unique, better experience. I probably spent more time reading the little blurbs than I ever really have before. Anyway, that's not what I meant to write about...

In reading about his works today, many of the descriptions included an explanation of the styles that influence Murakami...how his works incorporated various elements of past Japanese art or were similar to past works. It reminded me of taking art class back in like 7th or 8th grade. I found it strange the to learn how to draw in a less traditional, less formalistic, more comical manner it was necessary to first learn how to draw in a traditional, formal manner. I didn't want to draw realistic images, I wanted to create awesome doodles, caricatures, and the like.

Today reminded me of why it is important to study art in order to create great works of art [not that I've created anything I'd call great...and it's probably due to a lack of study on my part]. Possessing a foundation of knowledge of the traditional, the formal, the whatever u want to call it is important in allowing one the ability to become more improvisational and creative with ones work. Look at jazz: in order to improvise it is first necessary to know and understand chords and chord progressions and much more. It's no different for other art forms.

I think the same lessons are true for art history as well. I guess learning history involves learning the traditional to a certain extent. Besides formal techniques, there is much to be learned from the works of those who came before us, including the ways it is possible to go beyond the formal and how to stretch or exceed what everyone thought were the boundaries at the time. This applies well beyond the realm of art and into most every aspect of life.

I often wish I pursued the arts more full-heartedly. Now I tend to tell myself it's too late. I know it's not, at least not too late to learn more and pursue my artistic interests as a serious hobby [fulfilling my life in an important way]. I do wish I realized these things in college...but maybe I'll get to take some classes in the things that interest me without the pressures of being in school trying to get good grades and make it to the next thing in life...

Anyway...museums are a lot of fun and I plan on continuing to take in as much as I can. A list of artists whose work I'd like to own would definitely include the following...
Getting my hands on works of theirs alone would be difficult enough so I'll leave the list at 3 for now. I need to become filthy rich just so I can have a badass art collection...like Pierce Brosnan in The Thomas Crown Affair. Being a stellar art thief would be sweet too! [Thankfully I do own some sweet works by some of my close friends...and that alone is a great art collection in my opinion]

No comments: