Monday, October 4, 2010

individualism.

In life, we encounter situations where we need advice with respect to our interactions with other people, be it boyfriends/girlfriends, love interests, friends, family, roommates, coworkers, and so on.  I've often asked for advice; I've often been asked for advice.  Time and time again, the conclusion I tend to reach is that everyone is different: we're all our own individuals. 

I guess the situation is a bit different when you know the person asked about...but even then it's easy to see that the way I or any of my friends might do something or handle a situation is not necessarily the same as the person in question.  What people think is the right course of action, what people expect, what people want...even the way people perceive things is highly individualized.  I think the fact that we're all our own individuals is reflected in the fact that when seeking out the advice of others you come across a variety of opinions, ideas, and thoughts.

I was talking about this with my friend Lisa today and she pointed out what was kind of the missing step for me in my thought process and reflection on the whole matter: it's comforting to hear the various opinions of others.  On top of that, I think we tend to seek out the ideas, opinions, suggestions, beliefs, or whatever of people that are reassuring.  As much as sometimes you need to hear what might be the bitter truth about a situation, sometimes you also just need to hear something hopeful or maybe hear what u want to hear.

But I guess as much as individuality exists, we are also influenced by one another and our various experiences in life.  I mean, our individuality is really made of a number of things outside of us as individuals...if that makes any kind of sense.  We learn from and through each other...and also define who we are in the process.

In the end, it's just funny to me when I'm asked for advice about some things, because I feel like people differ in how they handle things...and I often feel like I approach things in a way different [tho likely not (any) better] than others.  And it's funny to ask for advice and get the various qualifiers and disclaimers.  But I think we tend to get what it is that we need or that helps us handle and understand each situation...whether it's actually right or wrong.

So I guess I'd like to end this long overdue, typically random rambling by thanking all those who have given me advice over the years...and hopefully I've returned the favor or given someone some decent advice along the way.

No comments: