With this post my blog turns 100. There are 2 additional posts that are saved as drafts [one necessary for my profile pic and the other is my running list of reasons to move back to San Francisco (which can also be seen as my gchat status message)]. My last blog made it to just a few posts past 100 I think and then the time came to change it up. This blog reached what I personally consider somewhat of a milestone in much less time, even if some of the posts were silly as message posted via text message [a feature I need to take better advantage of in the future]. I think I got here faster out of a need to write more; writing became something I needed for a few months, even if just to ramble on about somewhat significant and oftentimes insignificant topics. I know it's just repetition but the writing has slowed in part out of distraction and also just in part because of stepping into a new phase in life where writing is a little less of a necessity. Yet it's still something I thoroughly and enjoy doing and should do more of any time I get the chance.
Looking back on this latest attempt at blogging I feel like I've covered a lot of ground, gone through some pretty significant experiences, learned a lot, and used this space to take a step back at times, allowing for greater reflection and a better perspective. Sometimes writing here just helps me figure something out. Other times I just amuse myself with silly thoughts. But in the end it provides a space to be creative, even if that creation comes in the form of a pseudo-intellectual personal discourse with either myself or the imaginary person out there reading this silly thing. At the end of the day I'm really glad I started a blog just under 2 years ago. I hope my blogging has evolved [from just writing about current events in my life to something with some kind of meaningfulness to it] in that time. But all that really matters is I'm still here doing this, growing with it, and taking the time to spend on my own with my thoughts, emotions, and reflections whether they are serious, silly, or just tangential to everything. Here's to 100 more entries...
___________________
I spent another weekend traveling to San Francisco this past weekend. I flew home in the evening and exhaustion prevented me from blogging Sunday night. I knew this was the 100th post and I wanted to put some effort into it, even if I'm sleepy right now and should get in bed. It's been pretty interesting lately when it comes to my thoughts and feelings on San Francisco. Honestly, the past few weeks came with a serious desire to get back there as soon as possible. I guess spending 6 of the 9 last weekend can have that effect. But last weekend (not this past one but the one before that) a couple of good friends came to LA and we kicked it which was awesome. They were my first real visitors in LA and it brought a lot of joy to play host for once [especially since I always play guest with those guys]. I hope to get them down here again [maybe with a couple more homies] and I look forward to my next visitor from the Yay area.
But the desire to move and also a certain level of eagerly anticipating taking a step forward in the work world made for some personally difficult days at work. I know a career takes time to develop and one must pay dues along the way, taking one step after another - it's a journey. But I grow somewhat impatient at times and more importantly I'm getting a better, more refined image of what I really hope to end up doing. I don't mean to complain because I know how lucky and blessed I am to have the job I do [I'm going to court for the first time next week which is rather scary in some ways even if it's supposed to be a pretty straightforward matter]. But I do also hope to take some big steps in the coming years to move forward with things.
Knowing I'd like to end up in a different location and getting this better picture of what I want out of work led to some periods of dissatisfaction. Stupid? Of course. But I guess times like those provide some of the drive to stay on top of things and to not lose sight of who I really am and what all that entails.
Getting up to the Bay provided a nice fresh breath but also knocked some sense into me in that upon returning [as much as I missed the location and the people up there] I felt a sense of readiness to tackle things back here. I also know I could make more of an effort to meet people and develop more of a network in Los Angeles. But I hesitate in part because it's hard to imagine people playing the roles so many up North do in my life.
Anyway, another great weekend which included some of the following highlights...
- getting really gross pizza
- farting and pooping discussions
- dancing with the homies [see the last post for all the thoughts on hitting the club]
- open-faced egg sandwiches from Duboce Park Cafe
- both UCLA and Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeechigan winning important games against quality opponents [and calling 2 turnovers in the UCLA game before they happened]
- 3 dogs: the one trying to get some food from me, the one lounging in the sun, the one dragging its a** along the sidewalk
- listening to music at funny speeds
- yummy Chinese food [eating some veggies!]
- watching Scary Movie 2 [I'm not sure why I own that movie]
- brunch at Rockridge Cafe
- encountering all the Raiders fans as I made my way to the airport
____________________
Well, it really is getting late and I need to try to get in a little early tomorrow to make up for likely leaving early again. I came home early today to sign the lease for my new apartment but my manager was nowhere to be found. Annoying but I managed to do some work at home tonight. But it means I must leave early again tomorrow [but not until I call and make sure my manager will actually stick around]. I really hope I get the paperwork done tomorrow and can start moving stuff and getting settled down the hall. A little change will be nice.
Aside from that, I'm also looking forward to getting home for the holidays (Turkey Day and Christmas). I think going back home to Ann Arbor is vital to my well-being. Obviously seeing family is really important and always a refresher. On top of that I think Ann Arbor just plays a role in my life: providing a certain grounding to my mind and emotions. I guess it really is going home and getting back to my roots a bit, remember where I come from and what role that plays in who I am today. Also reminding me how I've come a long way [not just physically in terms of the distance but also as an individual in that I started a life for myself out here in California where I knew no one when I arrived a little over 8 years ago - holy crap, it's been that long?] and can get through anything that comes my way, with the help of those closest to me as an individual.
I'm really happy I get to go home for the amount of time I do [I expected less]. I'm also just really happy to have the opportunities in life I do [from work to the ability to go up North on a whim to the people I know and who play important roles in my life]. But, as I mentioned before heading down this silly little tangent, it's time to brush up and get some sleep.
Thanks to all those readers who tune in and stuck around thru these 100 posts. I'm glad you all read this and get to at least know a little of what's going on in my life and head. =]
____________________
.jpg)
A couple quick points:
- click on the image at the top of the page if you want to see the animated version I hoped would show up but I don't think did
- I added some new links on the right [a couple great blogs and a fun new website that's a sweet source for news and interesting articles and videos] - be sure to check them out!
1 comment:
Congrats on reaching 100 so quickly!
Post a Comment