Saturday, November 24, 2007

how things change...


I hope everyone had a good Turkey Day, I actually managed to have 2! My mom finally gave up Thanksgiving a few years back, allowing someone else to play host for a holiday, but we still cook up a turkey the day after. Why, I don't know. But I am NOT complaining. Seriously, Turkey Day food rocks! Anywho, like many other, I obviously have much to be thankful for: from my family and friends, to my job and the new ppl in my life, the changes in the past year and the things that stay the same...

Speaking of things changing and staying the same, this is the first time I've been home since I got a job. A few months of working makes me feel like on old a** man in some ways [obviously, the ways in which I feel things changed]. These changes are apparent when I come home: oddly, I fee much more like an adult. Sitting with the adults, engaging in their serious discussion, being acknowledged as an attorney [as if there is something special about it...it's just a silly job getting paid to do silly things], and so on. Different expectations, from myself and others to a certain extent. I almost feel like it's now inappropriate to just run downstairs and hide out before and after dinner.

It's funny because I overheard a conversation at dinner on Turkey Day where my dad and one of out family friends were discussing feeling young and how they feel they still think like they did at a much younger age, not comprehending the years that have gone by. I feel like such a child in so many ways, often laughing at the fact that I'm employed as a lawyer because I feel way too young, immature, and foolish to get paid to do what I do [i.e., I wouldn't pay me to do what I do]. I can't comprehend growing up and changing and maturing in some ways. I don't want to but beyond that I just don't know how or when it happens. But now I've come home and do feel some ways in which it has changed.

Yet many things stay the same. I still live in our basement and love it down here. Beyond that, kicking it with my best friend from high school [and I haven't seen him since Christmas time last year] was like it always is...as if we never skipped a beat. Doing the same things, being foolish in the same ways, enjoying the simplicity of throwing a funny mini-stuffed football around in the front yard...it's as good a time as any and just the way life is supposed to be lived. Sadly, his foolish self lives out in the greater Boston area and I'm on the other side of the country.


So some things never change, never will, and never should...I hope they never will at least [and the fact that they haven't over all these years, all these years of living out West in my own funny bubble, is reassuring]. A lot of things stay the same and I think it's important that those things do because they're a part of what makes each of us who we are as individuals. Anyway, this blog is still the same and the fact that I'm up late and need to go to bed is also always true. G'nite!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt