Sunday, July 12, 2009

Friends

Many of my closest friends are those I made in high school. I was fortunate enough to meet a great group of individuals during those formative years and I believe our shared experience played an important role in forging a lifelong bond among us. In many ways you can see similarities between all of us...yet at the same time we are all our own individuals, unique in our own ways and with varied and different tastes [altho we also share much in common]. As a group it's sometimes hard to see the variations, at least as well all spend time together...be it drinking, dancing, pontificating about random things in life, or in whatever activity we choose to engage in.

Yet I think our differences become apparent as you see the groups of individuals we've grown close to and call friends outside of our close knit high school group. As I perused Facebook a while back I came across some pictures of one of my friends spending time with old college friends. It made me think for a moment about the friends of my close friends that I have met and interacted with over the years.

What makes each of us individuals, unique and all our own among this close group, is expressed [I think] in those individuals who are our other friends. Not to say we don't express ourselves even when we all hang out...but I think you can see the individual in all of us and how different we all are by those we associate with outside of one another [I don't mean to make our group of friends sound elitist or anything along those lines].

I guess the reason this is of any interest to me is that I strongly believe that, in many ways, you are who you associate with in life. [I'm sure I've expressed this sentiment before in this space.] And so it's funny to think about my friends and the different groups of friends they each have...and then to think about all of us being as close as we are.

No comments: