Sunday, January 30, 2011

weekend update - Tahoe and the snow


It's been a hot minute since I last wrote a weekend update entry...in part cuz I haven't gotten away for a weekend out of town in a while [aside from a Vegas trip in October that I really don't want to discuss...hahaha].  Anyway, a big part of this blog used to be me writing about weekends up in the Bay that I used and needed as getaways during my time living in LA.  I realize now that those weekends were crucial to me at the time and that they were even more important that I realized.  I left LA and a job behind, a decision I kno some don't fully understand or appreciate [which is fine] and at the time a lot of my talk focused on being unhappy with the job.  But the truth of the matter is, I needed to be back in the 'Sco...it's where I belong.  I needed to be closed to the friends I have here and begin to live the life that was right for me at that time and continues to be right to this day.  I'm not knocking LA or anyone I knew there...I truly enjoyed my time there and am happy about the decision to move there after law school.  I don't have any regrets about it...but it came time to move on and move back to the City that speaks to me.  So as much as the job situation frustrated me and truly did get me down in big ways, it was also important and vital that I get back to living the right life for me and doing what was best for myself.

Enough rambling about feelings re: the move back to the 'Sco and some personal realizations of late...on to the topic at hand:  the weekend.  Actually, back to the past for a second....the reason the trips to City from LA began was very specific and the simple fact was I needed to get away and get my mind of things.  As time wore on and I grew accustomed to changed circumstances, I continued to need to come up to get away from other things and just be close to the largest group of close friends I have in any one place.  Well, it's probably clear from the past few entries on this blog that stuff again weighs on me in life and so I really needed a weekend away.  A few weeks back some good friends of mine and I discussed going snowboarding and they all said this weekend they were free...so I shot out and email and we managed to arrange for 9 of us to meet in Tahoe [with a bunch of us crashing in Ed's awesome cabin] for a weekend of boarding, eating, and hanging out.

It was great to get away from the City and what troubles me for a minute.  Spending time with my friends is probably my favorite thing in the world [along with spending time with family].  It helped to just be away and get my mind off things and to just have a genuinely good time.  There are times in life where you simply have to distract yourself to avoid getting down.  I think my last post indicated I was getting past that point and I really do feel I am...and so it was good to simply and genuinely enjoy time with people I love.

It was also great to get in my second and third days of my boarding career.  Day 1 last February was not particularly amazing on my part but the two days this weekend were a huge improvement.  I'm definitely hooked on boarding and already can't wait to get back up to the mountain.  I'm still not great but it's nice to see some improvement and begin to get a feel for things.  There's some funny video of me boarding out there after this weekend...I'm looking forward to the laughs it will provide.  Now it's time to continue to accumulate the full compliment of gear so I can stop borrowing from peeps.

Boarding was great, the time with friends was fantastic, and it's also nice to be home...especially since I can barely move now and can't wait to just pass out in my own bed for the nite.  On the ride home I was worried that I'd simply come back to what troubles me and that the weekend away was just a temporary respite.  But it's times like this weekend where you get to be with people you love and who love you back and appreciate you that are what life is all about, at least for me.  I'm no island and I'd be lost without the important people in my life...I'm thankful and lucky to have them.  And while what weighs on me is obviously still something that matters to me...well, life's got its good and bad parts.  It's pretty much as simple as that.  Too much fun to be had...

Anyway, as tradition dictates, here are just a few of the highlights from the weekend [far too many good times and laughs were had to recap it all]...

  • playing the parent to Ed & Swiyyah
  • eating far too many Doritos [as planned]
  • "When u're sliding into home and u feel ur butt foam, diarrhea."
  • Me: "I will punch u in the face."
  • Swiyyah in response: "I will punch YOU in the face."
  • farting spiders and "aracnacrap"
  • funny Ed
  • singing along to Enrique when we didn't kno the words
  • the constipated voice
  • bunk beds
  • Lethal Weapon
  • actually riding down the mountain on the first run of the day
  • me getting progressively worse throughout the day...at least until lunch
  • Julie's words of snowboarding wisdom and actually getting better
  • finally leafing
  • the possible concussion [we're still not sure, hahaha]
  • continually asking John to order more and more foood for us since he was already in line
  • a fun post lunch set of runs with Dianna, each of which involved being exhausted riding up the lift and talking about how we could barely do another run and then getting to the bottom of the run and immediately deciding to go again
  • hurting basically every part of my body
  • the hot tub [AH-mazing!!!]
  • tacos tacos tacos!!!
  • playing a decent game of pool
  • making a comeback against Ed in doing the Soulja Boy dance in Dance Central
  • getting skooled by Swiyyah in Dance Central
  • homemade ice cream sammiches
  • randomly watching a bit of Crank
  • waking up to fresh snow and Ed & I deciding we needed to board more
  • putting chains on John's car [snowchains still don't make a lot of sense to a kid from Michigan]
  • Doritos being the breakfast of champions
  • riding on a little bit of powder
  • the "Pure Jams" sing-a-long, especially Enrique round 2
  • Kaskade
  • road trippin' 
  • meeting some new people
  • all the pics, videos, and laughs
  • quality time with some of my best and closest friends
Look for another weekend update in March at the latest as I plan on driving to LA for a good friend's wedding.  I miss that drive and the decompression and thought time it provides.

No comments: