Another year of NBA basketball, another Easter Conference Finals appearance for the Detroit Pistons...a team I hold very near and dear to my heart. Watching the playoffs this year, I came to realize just how much of myself I invest in the Pistons [as well as my other most loved team, the Michigan Wolverines football program]. Watching this teams can be an exhausting experience for me, even if I'm just watching at home by myself. I empty out my emotions, cheering in full force and quite frankly making a huge ass out of myself in the confines of my own home. I'm much more tame in public tho I will gladly trash talk anyone.
I will support these teams at any point, no matter the score, no matter the season, no matter the level of success they are having. But both my Pistons and Wolverines have spent the last handful or so of year with so much potential, only to fall short [either in rather epic fashion or in more understandable manner]. Tonite the Pistons lost game 6 to the Celtics, bringing an end to another great season. 6 years, 6 Eastern Conference Finals...but only 2 trips to the Finals and just 1 Championship. Ahhh...it's frustrating because I know they could have accomplished more. But it's just frustrating and nothing more. It will not cause me to turn on my teams. Never.
Yet I oddly find the untapped potential to also be true of my life as well. I could toot my own horn and say I possess an inordinate amount of potential that I often fail to put to good use. A part of me is foolish enough to be so bold, so brazen, so not humble to actually believe such bravado. To be completely honest, in the fantasy world in my mind I spend a lot of time in, it's a true statement. Yet we dwell in reality..or so some tell me. Anyway, my point is I do sometimes feel as tho I could have accomplished more in certain situations. Aside from accomplishment, maybe I just missed some opportunities.
I know these feelings are likely true for all of us. And I definitely do not live in a world full of regret or thinking I could or should have done X, Y, or Z differently. I just look back and see how certain things could have been different. That's the point of hindsight.
My only point in all this rambling is that I think part of my love for these teams, part of how it is I'm able to put so much of myself into them is that I see some level a resemblance to myself. It's a funny connection, not the best aspect of one's individuality...but it also teaches lessons and allows me to grow.
As I did a little catching up with a friend on the phone tonite, I mentioned how a certain aspect of my life is bringing me down and it's honestly getting to point that it takes me out of being who I am. It's unfortunate but we all go thru tough times and must get thru certain things to get to others. It's definitely a temporary situation and at the end of the day not as important as many of the aspects of life. But it does take me out of my normal state of jovial being, as I phrased it.
Yet I find a renewed passion for music and seeing friends and just living life. Well, I've lost my train of thought and actually gotta jet...but I feel a sense of finding myself all over again and also finding new aspects of who I am and coming into my own all over again in certain ways. So, really I'm not getting to knocked off balance...but more finding a new one as I learn form past lessons and also develop and experience new things.
No comments:
Post a Comment