It seems as tho things in this space took a serious turn as of late and some of it definitely did not focus on the positives. It's important to remember that overall I don't have much to complain about and I am a pretty lucky individual. Either way, I feel a need to shut my brain off in some respects and just be.Anyway, I spent a good portion of today and yesterday at the coffee bean in the new mall that recently opened a couple blocks from my apartment. I had catching up to do on work stuff [I still do actually...eeeks] and it was funny to be in a coffee bean, reading through cases, taking notes, writing, etc. again. Definitely reminiscent of law school and earlier days.
It amazes me how our senses are so tied to our memories and just the simple re-experiencing of certain things can just take u back to places from years ago and feelings and emotions of the past. It's a little frightening in some respects, but only when you find yourself in a world of feelings and so on from before that you felt moved on from. The important thing is to realize that it's just a flashback of sorts and not an indication that you haven't moved to a new place in life.
So as I sat in the coffee bean tonite, sipping on my English Breakfast Tea Latte [which actually came in a glass mug, not the typcial paper cup...which was a new experience], I found myself taken back to days of law school when I would head up to the coffee bean on Fillmore. Obviously the similar surroundings in terms of decor only increased the sensation...but it was interesting, funny, familiar.
The experience only reinforced something I've discussed with some lately and that is how much life can change in a short period of time. Just under a year ago I started this blog. In that time life has changed dramatically, in terms fo actual life circumstances as well as who I am as an individual. I find it amazing that a year ago I was ready to take certain steps in life and make certain commitments that I feel incapable at this stage of my life.
But as a friend pointed out, while you don't necessarily go into things thinking about making commitments sometimes it is what comes about. To me the point of it all is that you can't really live your life by certain rules and with preconceived notions of how things will or won't turn out. Each experience is new and individual and everything that comes about will depend on a multitude of factors many of which one cannot perceive. While I don't feel capable of making certain commitments right now, maybe once I'm in the right situation I will...the point is you can only know so much in advance. The rest you just let be...
No comments:
Post a Comment