I'm noticing a decline in writing as of late. I think it's because I've said all there is to say, dropping all knowledge there is to drop. What can I say, I'm thorough. Ha! Honestly I think it's in part a side-effect of thinking about work a bit more since I'm still not getting through this assignment as fast as I'd like. It's OK and I'm just kicking myself a bit...but I'm also looking forward to getting through a first draft of it [hopefully early next week] and then getting to find some new work and new assignments. Hopefully something fresh will give me the kick I need. So I'm in a funny mood as I chillax here at home tonite. I passed out for an hour when I got home from work and then went for a run and got in a bit of a workout. After watching a little TV I find myself jonesin' for music. Getting thru the all-time favs mix and then giving it a listen taught me a bit about my musical knowledge, preferences, tastes, and so on. There's definitely a certain sound to me [especially when it comes to hip-hop and r&b]. I think it's a good think but it also makes me want to take in other things and expand my horizons...or not expand them [because I feel they are quite broad already] but rather devote more time to stylings I might neglect.
I kinda want to go on a music binge and buy up a bunch of CDs [like Postal Service's Give Up, Common's latest Finding Forever, possibly the new Talib Kweli album Ear Drum, and other stuff]. But every time I end up getting a bunch of new music at once I tend to neglect at least some of it. Maybe I need to go thru my collection and put more time into exactly those albums I'm yet to fully appreciate. In the end I feel this funny mood of mine is really an urge to find new favorites out of what I already have...reflecting a sense of reinvention while also maintaining a certain identity or sense of myself...which is exactly what the past few months of life in general involved [and continue to involve]. It's a lot of fun, really rewarding, and just healthy.
On a side note, one thing I learned from the lasting favorites compilation is that many of my favorite songs are not favorites due to some sentimental meaning. As much as I lean on music during the hard times and find meaning in songs which act in an almost therapeutic manner, the songs that stay with me tend to be ones that reach me on an aesthetic level and hit my soul in an almost inexplicable manner. But gut feelings like that are pretty much how I roll in life...
Music is the divine way to tell beautiful, poetic things to the heart.
- Pablo Casals
I just stumbled across that quote on a post-it note saved on my computer [and wish I remembered it yesterday actually]. I have no idea how I came across it in the first place but I think it pretty much sums up exactly what I wrote above. I might replace "heart" with "soul" but in the end they're very much the same. Other great quotes can be found here. Seriously, that link makes me happy. Time to get save some more quotes...I loves me some quotes...
By the way, I absolutely love the pic on this post. Music....
______________
update: another great quote
Without music life would be a mistake.
- Nietzsche
No comments:
Post a Comment