Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sundays

I'm developing a Sunday routine: in the early afternoon I head out of Glendale to a Starbucks and get a venti sweetened iced. Along the way I like to grab a bagel from one of two places nearby. I sit and just spend a few hours reading, writing, enjoying the Sunday afternoon. This routine has only gone on for two weeks now but I'm already in love with it. I really plan on making it a weekly thing.

Today I came across a copy of the New York Times Magazine on the table I sat at. It contained a really interesting article on the split of religion and politics on the Western world and how it is not true for all of the world. The article went into much greater detail and discussion than I can give justice but I found this one portion very interesting:
  • "The idea of redemption is among the most powerful forces shaping human existence in all those societies touched by the biblical tradition. It has inspired people to endure suffering, overcome suffering and inflict suffering on others. It has offered hope and inspiration in times of darkness; it has also added to the darkness by arousing unrealistic expectations and justifying those who spill blood to satisfy them. All the biblical religions cultivate the idea of redemption, and all fear its power to inflame minds and deafen them to the voice of reason."
Religion plays an important role in my life [again, I know many ppl with very different views on the subject and in my opinion it makes for an interesting diversity]. But I've always felt that religion can be manipulated and used to justify all kinds of things and lead down very unfortunate paths. When religion is used it inherently loses its way: from my limited knowledge, religion is supposed to guide us and teach us how we should lead our lives. It provides standards and gives us something to strive for. It's unfortunate when religion is used to justify the mistreatment, persecution, or outcasting of individuals of different beliefs. Once again, based on my very limited knowledge, tolerance and acceptance are central tenets [at least of Christianity]. Knowing this, even if one can argue the Bible or some other religious text says it is wrong to do X, it is not our place to judge the individuals doing X, to punish them, to attack them. Ahh...my mind is definitely not in the right place for this...so I'll stop. But the above is very enlightening to me.

In other news, I really hope to read more. I really enjoy it and I just want to be more knowledgeable [I pretend I'm smarter than I am and somehow get away with it]. So many interesting things are out there...

afterthoughts...
  • ever notice how those that claim to be so religious are often the least tolerant, forgiving, and understanding?
  • why does anyone who truly believes in his/her faith need to claim to be so religious in the first place?

No comments: