Thursday, August 23, 2007

thoughts on a year

I turned 26 today [technically yesterday now]. Yesterday [or technically the day before as I continue this path] I wrote about the closing of a chapter. Oddly enough it came at a very appropriate time, the start of a new year in my life coming the very next day. [To be honest, as I wrote about how some things reappear, someone from that chapter made at least a brief appearance, kindly]

25 was one of the most eventful, interesting, and fulfilling years ever, hopefully each year gets better. The year started with a change: saying goodbye to a city I love 2 days into age 25 and moving to another wonderful place. Looking for a job and struggling with it, passing the bar, continuing to not find a job...the list goes on. It also ended with a goodbye of sorts...bookending the year in a funny way [think about it, I think you can figure it out]

Looking back right now I see it was a year of challenges: struggling to find a job and losing the most important relationship in my life [one I planned my future around]. Unfortunately the two struggles overlapped for a bit, leaving me to finish out the job hunt on my own in a way. But here I am, happy with life and where it is going, looking forward to the future, continuing to find myself all over again and learning about who I am, who I want to be, and how to get there. I don't know if everything really does happen for a reason [it's definitely possible to find reasons for things that happen...sometimes it's just a coping mechanism but most of the time it's simply that you learn from every experience in life, which alone provides a good reason for what happened], but I do know that, even if you go from one course to another, as long as you keep moving forward you're doing right.

But, and I felt this since last nite when I opened my birthday card from my parents [once it was officially August 23rd], I'm surrounded by amazing people who continually provide any support I might need, without them there's no way I'd be able to stay afloat. I am so lucky, so blessed, and so thankful for the people who are there through all the chapters of my life. Today it was great to hear from so many people and I really appreciate all the love and warmth and well wishes.

I'm so excited to see more good friends tomorrow. I'm the luckiest guy in the world to know the people I do and to get to be a part of their lives. The people you surround yourself with are so important and can play fundamental and defining roles in your life. They say you are what you eat [I am not a vegetable apparently], but I believe you also are who you associate with. I'm blessed and I think the people around me make me a better person...

So, thanks again to everyone for all the well wishes. You guys truly are the best. San Francisco...I'll see you soon. =]
___________________

tonite's taken from TV moment:

"But life has plenty of good parts. It's the rough parts that make you thankful you have people to share it with."

just thought i'd add that as it came on right as i was wrapping up this post...seemed appropriate.

No comments: