Sunday, July 22, 2007

live

I love live music [at least when the performers are good]. Tonite I went to see Snow Patrol at the Greek Theatre, a couple miles from my house in Griffith Park, with a good friend. The concert was awesome! The opening act, Hot Hot Heat, really surprised with a stellar performance. As for Snow Patrol, they too rocked the house. The music was great and the lead singer was a funny guy with a wicked Irish accent. The bug that appeared added quite a few laughs. =]

I think it's clear to those who know me that I really love music. My blog at times might as well be dedicated to music and not about anything else. Hehe. =p Now that I'm working and becoming more independent I plan on doing some things I didn't get the chance to before, like go to more concerts. I don't regret any of the concerts I've attended, even if they got somewhat pricey at times. Music is such an important part of my life and getting the chance to see artists whose music I love perform their craft live is just amazing, if not moving at times.

Tonite was so much fun. I love the latest Snow Patrol album, Eyes Open. Many of the songs mean a lot to me on a personal level, something important to me. But I also just love the music for itself. Hearing so many songs I love and hearing them performed well in person [sitting not far from the stage too] was a great experience.

At one point, during the song Open Your Eyes I stopped and just took in the moment, watching all the people rock out together, hearing the music and loving it, finding a sense of contentment and completeness in that very moment. This might sound really lame to some but what can I say? Moments like those are part of why I love music so much.

I don't know if I've met anyone who feels the way I do about music. I know some people who come close and I think also feel something as significant and strong but slightly different. I'm not making any statements of being better than anyone else or anything like that, just that I'm yet to come across someone who I think fully gets me and music. It saddens me in some ways, in part because I've been extremely close to some people and for them to not understand makes me feel like a disconnect always existed in a way [a way in which it shouldn't in those types of relationships].

But I guess that's what makes it personal, right? Anyway, I was so happy with how great they sounded live that I overpaid for a Snow Patrol t-shirt [which I'm sporting right now as I type this entry]. I'm looking forward to the next concert I go to...just gotta figure out who to see next
___________________________________________________

As for other stuff in life, life is full of all kinds of things. During the concert I thought about some of the songs, how much I love them, their personal significance to me. It hit me that, as time goes by, things change. It's not that the songs aren't meaningful but more that all the meaning they possess for me and how I tried to convey that to someone in the end loses it's meaning. Or rather, that meaning can be lost on someone.

You try your best and give all you can, that's all you can do and is all you have. In the end, if you do that you never have anything to be ashamed of or feel bad about. So many times in life we don't commit ourselves to things or people fully, we're often afraid to, sometimes just too lazy, and maybe don't even know how. No one is perfect; as humans we're not capable of perfection. But when you do give all of yourself, maybe that's a form of perfection or a perfect effort or something like that [I guess I'm not comfortable calling it perfect].

I make no [serious] claims to being better than the next person. [I make many joking claims to being better than everyone tho...hehe] But I do know that on some occasions I've given everything I could. Because of that, no matter what anyone else thinks I can stand tall, satisfied with things because I did all I possibly could. Obviously things aren't so simple, many other feelings and emotions play themselves out. But in those situations, even with any mistakes I made, I know I gave all I had and stayed true to myself.
___________________________________________________

Tonite I leave my few readers with lyrics from 2 Snow Patrol songs. I put these here for reasons somewhat hard to explain. One of the songs might seem somewhat obvious or maybe both will, but at least some of the lyrics aren't as applicable as one might imagine. Anyway...enjoy the words and I seriously recommend you listen to the songs.

You Could Be Happy...

You could be happy and I won't know
But you weren't happy the day I watched you go
And all of the things I wish I had not said
Are played in loops til it's madness in my head
Is it too late to remind you how we were
Not our last days of silent screaming blur
Most of what I remember makes me sure
I should've stopped you from waling out the door
You could be happy I hope you are
You made me happier than I've been by far
Somehow everything I own smells of you
And for the tiniest moment it's all not true
Just do the things that you always wanted to
Without me there to hold you back don't think just do
More than anything I want to see you girl
Take a glorious bite out of the whole world
You should be happy no matter what

Make This Go On Forever

Please don't let this turn into something it's not
I can only give you everything I've got
I can't be as sorry as you think I should
But I still love you more than anyone else could
All that I keep thinking throughout this whole fight
Is it could take my whole damn life to make this right
The splintered mast I'm holding on Won't save me long
Because I know fine well that what I did was wrong

The last girl and the last reason
To make this last for as long as I could
The first kiss and the the first time
That I felt connected to anything
The weight of water the way you taught me
To look past everything I have ever learned
The final word in the final sentence
You ever uttered to me was love

We have got through so much worse than this before
What's so different this time that you can't ignore
You say it is much more than just my last mistake
And we should spend some time apart
For both our sakes

The last girl and the last reason
To make this last for as long as I could
The first kiss and the the first time
That I felt connected to anything
The weight of water the way you taught me
To look past everything I have ever learned
The final word in the final sentence
You ever uttered to me was love (x2)

And I don't know where to look
My words just break and melt
Please just save me from this darkness
___________________________________________________

I'm sure some of these lyrics might appear contradictory. It's also just something you notice when you see artists putting music out there (e.g., Elliot Yamin's first single titled Wait For You followed by Movin' On - and yes, the first is about waiting for a girl for as long as it takes while the second is about getting over a girl). At first it bugged me but at the same time it's also a part of human nature to feel conflicting emotions. Sometimes at the same time and other times you feel them at different moments. It's difficult but also normal.
__________________________________________________

I'm going to add a concerts section to my blog, another list for the right side of the blog. Right now I'm too lazy to dig thru all my old ticket stubs and also think of any other possible ones I've been to over the years. But for now, here are 5 of the best performers I've seen live...
  • The Roots [@ Cyberfest]
  • kanYe West [@ San Jose HP Pavillion]
  • Lyrics Born [@ Cyberfest...this was a HUGE surprise but he set the mutha off!!!!!!!!!!]
  • bt [@ Cyberfest]
  • Snow Patrol [@ the Greek Theatre]
ok...gotta get some rest. big week of work ahead followed by a weekend i'm already looking forward to, even if it's still 5 days away [what's 5 days?] g'nite bloggie.

No comments: