Yesterday I realized that I went my entire first week of work without getting a headache. I get headaches a little more often than most people I think, usually tension headaches that I attribute to poor posture. Well, as Murphy would have it, I got my first headache today. A pretty mild one compared to the usual but still not a lot of fun.
Oh well...still got thru the day. Yesterday I got to go beyond just research and draft a letter to a client. In the shower this morning I thought about it and realized how I could have done better with it. I checked to see if the partner sent out an edited version and he had, including edits similar to those I wish I made myself. =/
I'm cool with messing up and doing things wrong, it's a good thing to happen, especially at this time. But it's never fun. I guess the distaste for erring helps push me to learn and grow. But with this specific incident [as is often the case] when I realized what I did this morning, I knew it was because I got caught up in the moment and narrowed my field of vision basically. In part I was scared because I'd never written anything to a client before. Beyond that I just stopped thinking outside of myself, considering alternative ways of phrasing what needed expression.
I really enjoy writing. I think it's obvious from my blog [or I hope it is] but I also enjoy writing even in the legal or professional setting. But I know that I often cannot think outside my style of writing [in part why it's my style]. I feel like I'm not very good at editing because of this shortcoming. Just a thought...
Today I got to start propounding discovery and I'll get to do more of that tomorrow. I'm enjoying the learning process so far. I'm a bit jealous of some of my friends who are getting to make court appearances and do even more "lawyerly" things but I also know I'm in a good place with good opportunities.
Enough about work...I'm at home relaxing...time to enjoy life and release...
No comments:
Post a Comment