Monday, July 16, 2007

thoughts on week one

I realized that I didn't end up writing about how the first week of work went. A couple people asked about it and it seemed like a good topic for the blog. It went pretty well. Things were pretty smooth and I got a couple of research assignments. I also did a little research on a couple of judges as well.

So far I enjoy working. I thought coming home after the weekend up north that I'd be pretty exhausted and not looking forward to Monday but last nite I actually felt pretty good about things (altho quite tired). It feels good to be active and a part of something. I'm still adjusting but I'd like to take things up a notch. It's hard going from not working and spending all day with ESPN to working a good 50 hours a week. I'm not complaining, just noting that I plan on getting better as time goes by. I feel like even today my focus was higher (even if I ran out of work today by days end, preventing me from getting in some billable time I'd like to have).

I'm so happy to be working. After how long the job hunt took I feel really blessed and lucky to have this opportunity. It's also why I've been so happy to hear about people I know getting jobs, I'm glad it's not taking them as long as it took me.
__________________________________________________

I started reading an article on James Blunt's new album earlier tonite. I didn't come close to finishing it yet but I did read about how he spent a lot of time basically living alone during the process of making his latest effort. It's an interesting concept, just living completely alone for the most part.

I've never actually become a hermit. But I have lived alone for the most part the last couple of years. It first started second semester of law school. After a break up I got an apartment in San Francisco not far from school (across the street from where I lived during first year actually). It was probably the best time to live alone because it forced me to grow a lot and learn a lot about myself.

Living alone during that time was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I've learned a lot about independence and because of that I think I'm better able to appreciate the people in my life. Not many people ever live alone at any point in there lives. I mean, it's pretty easy and appealing not to do so. But personally, I'd recommend it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the next stage in living alone: getting a bigger apartment, one with a bedroom. It's gonna be a change but a good one. For now I plan on continuing to live on my own but who knows what the future holds.

This post got pretty sidetracked, first by a call from a good friend and then by the need to do laundry as well as some blogging. I'm kinda dissatisfied with it at this point but oh well. =p Anyway, there will be more to come, of course.

No comments: